Thursday, December 18, 2008

Join Your Local Running Club


“Practicing what I preach” is a motto to which I regularly subscribe.

However, I found out I wasn’t doing too great of a job on that front based on a comment I recently received from one of my readers. After writing encouraging remarks about joining our local running organization for “group” running activities, a reader commented by thanking me for the plug, but asking me why I wasn’t a member in ours.

After think about this a little, I thought this was a pretty fair comment. So, I logged onto the http://www.capitalstriders.org/ website and joined! While I’m extremely familiar with Capital Striders, I had opted not to join Capital Striders because my busy schedule often prevents me from participating in many of the activities.

That being said, I would encourage you to check out joining your local running group. The benefits are numerous beyond just events and activities. Capital Striders has numerous benefits including regular communication about upcoming events, member discounts and group training activities. The upcoming annual dinner will feature three-time Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton.
Christine Luff also recently wrote on some of the benefits of joining a running club. Check it out -- http://running.about.com/b/2008/12/14/join-a-running-club.htm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Joseph, for accepting my invitation to join Capital Striders. I do remember processing your membership last weekend. Our club will be that much better having you as a member.

Steve Vaught
Director of Operations
Capital Striders Running Club

Coachhrd said...

I'm thrilled to be a member. Thanks!