Friday, April 19, 2013

I Love This Guy - Older Adult Trainer

John David, a 73-year-old fitness trainer, is my new hero and role model.
David was recently featured on National Public Radio's "Morning Edition".  He earned a certified fitness training designation in his mid-50s and tried to switch careers from television to fitness trainig.  However, he discovered that fitness centers weren't looking to hire older trainers - they wanted younger people.

So, he made lemonade out of lemons.  Volunteering time to do fitness training at retirement facilities led to paid work.  Although David says the income is not great, he enjoys helping seniors stay healthy.  He says the health needs of seniors is much different than younger people - and he can related to that. 

I love this story because this is what I am considering doing as a career upon retirement.  I would really enjoy doing part-time work to help seniors keep fit in a way that isn't intimidating to them.

No comments: