Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Can We Keep Our Athletic Facilties Clean Please?


78 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, no wind and a beautiful baseball field. Ideal conditions for a little hitting session with my sons this past weekend, right?

Not exactly.

It is very upsetting to visit a ballpark and see all of the trash people leave behind. Beverage bottles, wrappers, cups, plates, and utensils - you name it -- folks just leave it behind as though there's a guarantee mom is coming along right behind to pick up after them.

Not so.

Jay, Matthew and I spent some time picking up before we left, so it looked a little nicer. Plus, I thought it was good to instill the values of "cleaning up" for my sons. Those who know me well know that I have no environmental agenda of any kind. But it's time for us to start taking better care of the "footprints" we leave in the spaces we occupy. Although our clean up work was minimal, at least we were making an effort!

The following day, my faith was restored. After Jay’s football game, the home team’s parents, coaches and players were asked to pick up the trash in the stands as they had participated in the final game that day. It was good to see the players, coaches and their families enthusiastically embrace this chore. With everyone’s cooperation, it took less than 10 minutes.

I’m going to have to take a few days off from blogging due to a trip I need to make, but look for more entries late this week.

No comments: