Monday, October 13, 2008

Unhappy With Youth Sports? Volunteer To Help!


Tired of poor practices? Not happy with some of the policies of your child’s sports organization?

Trust me, complaining doesn’t remedy the situation much.

As one board member of our local baseball league challenged me recently, “Joe, put your money where your mouth is.” After expressing my dissatisfaction over some issues, he challenged me to join the board of the league. “You’ve been around awhile, Joe. You can help us improve things,” he said.

I hope he’s right because I attended my first board meeting of the Holiday Park Baseball Club last week. I’m excited about the prospect of contributing to this organization. There are certainly challenges, but nothing that can’t be overcome. I’d like to think some of my life experiences will help address a number of the issues the league faces.

Youth athletic organizations are so much in need of the time and expertise of parents. If you see it fit to express your dissatisfaction with the operations of a league, think about all of the volunteer time that goes into making things work. These leagues are in great need of volunteers at a variety of levels. Whether it’s coaches, team parents, board members; volunteer to step up and help out! The league will gladly accept your support and probably be more receptive to your input.

In my next entry, I’ll talk about some suggestions for volunteering.

No comments: