Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sprint Triathlon Training Program

So I’m going to cover old territory. Live through it!

A few weeks ago, I wrote about training for a triathlon event. Please don’t think this is an “impossible” endeavor. If you have successfully competed in some running, biking or swimming events; it’s not that hard to adapt the other disciplines. If you would have asked me when I was 25 if I thought I would ever complete a triathlon, I think the answer easily would have been “no”. But here I am, now 43, and I have several events under my belt.

I’m most excited about the upcoming Hy-Vee Triathlon for which I’m training now. My training has gone well and I feel good about my speed in all disciplines.

My point is . . . and I do have one . . don’t ever sell yourself short! While you may think a triathlon is too difficult – how do you know until you try (or tri . . . no pun intended)? I’m amazed at the progress of some of the people in a training group in which I’m currently participating. It’s very inspiring.

Bottom line . . . if you have any interest in doing a triathlon event, do your homework and give it a shot.

Triathlon training plans are hard to come by these days unless you pay for them. While you can collaborate with others who have done the event to try and come up with your plan, there just isn’t the amount of information available via the web for training the way there is about running events. Triathlon training is still in its infancy. Therefore, I thought it might be helpful to share this plan for a “sprint” event that was recently published in the Sacramento Bee -- http://tinyurl.com/d7r82c.

This plan may be a little aggressive for a sprint event, but give it a look and maybe it will inspire you!

No comments: