Sunday, August 23, 2009

Des Moines A Great Place To Live




I think I’ve made an important realization this past week.

Des Moines is an awesome place to live.
Chicago is a great place to live.

After traveling to visit my sisters last weekend, I can't help but think how wonderful it would be if we had Shedd's Aquarium, the museums, Navy Pier, the beaches, Michigan Avenue and on and on and on . . . in Des Moines. But that's not going to happen.

Here's another thought -- imagine driving into Des Moines on I-235 with a traffic jam and being entertained by an air show that featured the “Blue Angels”. That happened to us as we made our way through Downtown Chicago traffic last week!

While there is a never-ending array of things to do in Chicago, I still love the pace of life here in Des Moines. We’re probably never going to have the flair of cities like Chicago, but what we do have is great.

Fine restaurants, trails, schools, attractions and activity venues. By no means to the extent of Chicago, but who can't love the less frenetic pace of life here in the Des Moines area? We’ve made some great strides over the past few years with the additions of Jordan Creek, West Glen and the improvements to the western and eastern edges of Downtown. Being at the Iowa State Fair yesterday, I noticed what great enhancements continue to be made at this fine facility – probably the largest attraction in our state!

We should be happy with our community for what it is - a great place to live and raise a family.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I agree, Joe. DSM is a great place to live!