Sunday, August 9, 2009

Run Somewhere Different

Hard to believe, but yes, I’m a very stubborn, set-in-my-ways, middle-aged American male. I can be proud of this fact or perhaps venture out of my “comfort zone” once in a while.

While it’s great to just get out on one of your “tried and true” running routes to get the day’s workout off the “to do” list, how long has it been since you sought out a new route? I had this experience yesterday and really enjoyed the run.

A friend I run with often on weekends talked me into meeting for the Capital Striders Saturday training run. It was a scenic route through two local parks and various trails. Plus, there was water and support along the route. Who can top that on a humid day that started at 81 degrees at 7 a.m.!

Make a pact with yourself to seek out a new route for an upcoming weekend training run or bike ride. If you check with a running group in your area, perhaps you can hook up with one if their future activities.

This site http://www.runtheplanet.com/ will help you map out running routes throughout the world. Use this search feature on the U. S. Track and Field website to identify a running group in your community - http://tinyurl.com/lfj66q.

No comments: