Thursday, August 27, 2009

Trouble Getting Your Children To Exercise?

Talk about frustration.

It’s hard having a son who is a talented, 13-year-old athlete and convincing him of the benefits to conditioning activities beyond regularly-held practices.

I don’t know that I have an answer to this dilemma, but I think my son is starting to get it. He did run with me to the gym the other morning where we did a weight workout. His mother came to pick him up while I ran home. However, mom took him to Target and he proceeded to run home from Target. So, maybe the message is finally getting through!

It’s tough for youth to understand the importance of, as I refer to it to my son, “practice beyond the practice”.

Perhaps the best thing we can do as parents is continue setting the example to our children that a healthy lifestyle is a good thing! Let’s be honest, our children often emulate our choices whether good or bad. Additionally, we need to continue talking to our children about the importance of healthy lifestyle activities.

It’s often difficult due to busy schedules, but make an effort to do a healthy exercise activity this week with your children – you will not regret it!

No comments: