Monday, January 19, 2009

Is A Marathon In Your Future?


I truly salute those who commit to training for a marathon event. Having trained and competed in a variety of marathon and half-marathon events, I know the commitment required to meet this objective.

Maybe you are like Andrew here -- http://tinyurl.com/8sjc76 -- and you’ve committed to training for a marathon event this year. If so, I have a couple of suggestions.

First, I would highly recommend reading Hal Higdon’s “Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide”. This is a wonderful reference to the “ins and outs” of preparing for this event. Personally, my copy is a little tattered from me lending it to a number of my friends as they have prepared for races. While you may find you are more comfortable using training plans different from what Higdon suggests, his advice on event preparation is phenomenal. The beginning marathoner needs to be familiar with what to expect and this guide will prepare you accordingly.

I also might suggest grabbing a copy of Dean Karnazes’ “50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons In 50 Days- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance”. While I’m not advising running 50 marathons in 50 days by making this recommendation, the book is a great source of inspiration and advice for distance training. I was the lucky recipient of this book as a Christmas gift from my wife, Betsy, and it was easy-to-read in no time and very enjoyable!

If a marathon is in your future, take a look at these two references for some quick and helpful guidance.

1 comment:

Fit Mommy said...

I loved Dean's first book, Ultra Marathon Man!

As far as planning to complete a marathon, I am a big believer in A PLAN!!